Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Winging it






One of the most amazing structures or frustrating is the Spitfires wing.A genius of his time,Mitchell created an engineering marvel.This is due to the complexities of it,s internal structure,from it,s D section leading edge to it,s different main spar fabrication.Today a man I think who is doing some marvelous work reverse engineering the wing is Justin Adams from Europe.Working off original drawings,especially the Supermarine drawing for the chord offsets and reverse engineering an original wing Justin is slowly creating a 3D model of the wing and it,s internals.He is using a design program called Rhino and here are some screenshots of his work so far..

1 comment:

  1. Hello my name is Zidan dallah.
    I am very impressed with your work. well done
    I hope that you can help me.
    I know how hard it is for a person to give the fruit of his work to someone else.
    But I desperately need help. I have been working on a project to graduate from the Faculty of Mechanics. My project is to study the design of this aircraft from the viewpoint of construction. How can we improve its performance through structural modeling and analysis through the use of programs such as ansys. It's a plane that deserves the attention of the researcher.
    I hope you are willing to give me some detailed information on the wing of this plane.
    Such as the wing thickness and dimensions of the spars and ribs and the type of metals used in these parts.
    may be some solidworks files if not too much.
    We here at the University of Aleppo in Syria, we appreciate your dedication
    And thank you.

    Please, Contact me
    zidan-dgeneration@hotmail.com
    or facebook me At the same address...

    ReplyDelete